My name is Simon. I'm currently based in Tokyo but am from Adelaide, Australia (little known, we make sweet wine!)
I'm a 6 foot giant.
Soul of a child.
I love to see the world around me and am endlessly curious.
I have a passion for building things, whether it's with my hands or made on a machine.
Through my work I attempt to reconstruct and gain insight of the human experience or what it is to be a human, a human male.
I enjoy playfully designing and combining found/manufactured materials.
And examine themes signified such as environment, stereotypes, love, sex, hedonism and chance. While attempting to find similarities & connections across race and cultures outside my own.
I with great pleasure invite you to look at my work and please do not hesitate to get in touch. Whether it be for collaboration, work offers or just a question or chat. I always respond to emails.
Simon De Boer.
Sewing Seeds, Elephant Studio / Gallery, Tokyo
Sewing Seeds, Unnamed Gallery, Los Angeles
Dating for Dinner, Praxis ARTSPACE, Adelaide
Wine, Salad Days Gallery, Adelaide
Plus One: Recent work by Simon De Boer, Exeter Hotel, Adelaide
- (Cont.) Art assistant / Graphic design at AOBA International School - Nerima, Tokyo.
- Volunteering: Painting Workshop with Reception year level at Pedare Primary School.
- Artist in residence (Artist talks & three week workshop at Golden Grove High school, Adelaide)
- T-Shirt Design (Collaboration with Gabba Clothing, Denmark)
- Live digital art drawing demonstration. DOSING PARTY - Edition, Tokyo.
- Art assistant at AOBA International School - Nerima, Tokyo.
- Contributing writer to TOKYO ART BEAT - A Tokyo Visual Arts website & blog.
- Pieces (Film and Screening), Canvas Creative, Tokyo
- Lurk Church - Live blacklight painting, installation & music event, Tokyo
- Yalumba Wine Installation at WOMAD 2014, Adelaide
- Noah’s Art - After School Art Lessons. Ages 7-15.
- Primal URGEncy (Live Performative Project), Tooth and Nail Gallery, Adelaide
Ritual: Comic Launch, AMP Cafe, Tokyo
Neon Light // Skin, AMP Cafe, Tokyo
Wild Goose Chase, Floating Goose Studios, Adelaide
Since I Left Home, Aquvii, Tokyo
Tooth and Nail Anniversary Show, Tooth and Nail, Adelaide
Lloyd Rees Art Prize, Gallery Lane Cove, Sydney
Tiny Universes, Tooth and Nail, Adelaide
Menagerie, Urban Cow Studio, Adelaide
Tooth and Nail One Year Anniversary, Tooth and Nail, Adelaide
Ten by Ten, Point A, Adelaide
Wish you were here!, Adelaide Central School of Art, Adelaide
SpringART, Loreto College, Adelaide
Drawn Together (W/ Fruzsi Kenez), Reading Room, Adelaide
Lazer Cats, Tooth and Nail, Adelaide
Bird Shit, Tooth and Nail, Adelaide
Pass it on, Feltspace, Adelaide
Helpmann Academy Graduate Exhibition, Helpmann Academy, Adelaide
Emergence, Adelaide Central School of Art, Adelaide
Collective ARISPACE, Adelaide
Adelaide Cathedral Art Show, Adelaide Cathedral, Adelaide, Australia
AWARDS/ SCHOLARSHIPS/ GRANTS
Selected for Lloyd Rees art prize
Selected SpringART Portrait Prize participant
Selected Helpmann Academy Exhibition 2012
Redkite Foundation Grant Australia
Adelaide Central School of Art Tuition Scholarship Adelaide, Australia
Best Under 25 Artist Adelaide Cathedral Art Show, Adelaide, Australia